Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reporting DataSet Using Crystal Report in VB.NET 2005 App

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashishraj14

Programmer
Mar 1, 2005
AU
How can I report un-typed DataSet/DataTable using Crystal Reports? I can’t define a schema at design time as my DataSet/DataTable is build dynamically and number of columns varies with each run.

Thanks

...number of columns varies with each run

Well, I think there may be a way to do this, but it's gonna get messy... :)

You may be able to put a whole bunch of unbound fields on a CR form, then bind the dataset/datatable fields to the unbound CR fields at runtime, rearranging the fields' locations and hiding unused fields, etc. The real drawback of this method is that you probably won't be able to do anything fancy, such as grouping.

The version of CR that comes bundled with VS is a limited-functionality version. To really get at what I think you want - producing reports on the fly with arbitrary fields, grouping, and so forth - can be done with CR, but you would have to purchase the full developer version, which can consume a bit of $$$.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back