Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Writer to work with Clipper 5.01

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahja

Programmer
Mar 4, 2007
CA
Hi Everyone!

I need to update my Clipper reports to something more than just plain text. I have tried to get my head around Crystal XI and using it with DOS/Clipper app and have just hit a brick wall. Does anyone know of a product that I could use (fairly easily) that would give me some font options and possibly a screen viewer of the report that the user can then send to a printer or return to the Clipper app? I don't need anything real complex, just something to dress up the reports a bit.

Thanking you in advance!

Rahja

Phew, this is the 'giant leap' for Clipper programmers.

There is a bit of a void from the straight text format of reporting into the world of fonts and the like.

You have a few choices, but very few shortcuts.

You could export your data - away from any 'live' production tables - into extracts and then try and fire up something like R&R Report Writer (you might even be able to use that on your existing data, but I am not sure how good it is at that and wold wnat the security that it isn't going to spoil anything).

Likewise, you could try and fire up a copy of Crystal Reports to run the reports (perhaps on the live data, or perhaps on a copy/extract).

I have seen people run M$ Access against Clipper tables (copied for safety/security) with some success - using the autostart macros to run the report in question.

I, being a luddite, wrote my reports in HP-PCL (the common printer description language) and then output the result to something called Lincoln PageView for printing on any M$ Windows printer... this option takes a bit more setting up and graphics aren't easy, but I made the investment in time to work out character sizes, approximate widths and all the millimeter based positioning nearly 20 years ago and have clients still using it now!

If I were doing it again now, having to keep the Clipper App - but needing posh fonts etc., I would export the extracted data I needed and then fire up a copy of a compiled VFP application to handle the actual reporting.

That might require the minimum in expense (one copy of VFP for the developer - no cost for the client machines) and then I could have nice reports wih reasonable flexibility.

Good luck

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

We have started to use XLT's to get the look and feel of a more polished output. Open the XLT and the underlining data pops into the cells with the VB coding to support the sizzle.

Jim C.

Thanks Griff!

I know this is a big step from the normal clipper reports. My clients do not want to lose the speed and ease of operation that Clipper/DOS provides, however; they would like some better looking reports. Especially when it comes to Invoices and Purchase Orders. I have never used (or even seen) what R&R Report Writer is. I have had no real luck on finding it on the net or even any description of what it is or is not capable of. Do you know of a link as to where I can find it? I do have Crystal Reports but it seems extremely labor intensive to figure it out.

Thanks Again, Rahja!

R&R Report Writer was the de facto report generator for things like Clipper (20 years ago) - I googled it and found this link:

and

The thing is that it isn't exactly cheap!

I would be tempted to go down the firing up a VFP application that just does the reports - copying out the right subsets of the data to temporary tables and reporting on that - it is probably the cheapest route (you would only need VFP 6 or better to get quite nice results - see that VFP9 is available on ebay at about £60 upwards.

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hi,
If you still have source code, you could rewrite the print routines to use Abee PageScript. I have used this for a few years now and it can produce some very good reports/forms, but it will need a rewrite for best output.

There is a similar product, Vouch32, that is free, still needs a rewrite of course. (I think this is no longer being developed but is available for download.)

Kind regards
Philip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back