Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report writer for integrating with asp.net applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrbarnett

Programmer
Jul 20, 2001
GB
All,

I have been looking lately at facilities for allowing data from a SQL Server database to be displayed within an asp.net application relatively easily, but with fairly good formatting abilities. There are plenty around, ranging from using in built data aware controls such as grid view and details view, the Reporting addin for visual studio 2005 Express ( to third party solutions including and
None give me combination of ease of use or control over formatting layout that I am used to. I have also considered Crystal in visual studio pro but would want to be sure that was the right way to go before buying a license for the Professional version.

I have seen the article commenting on a range of .Net reporting tools at but wondered if anybody else had any comments or suggestions.
The more I research available options, the more confused I get.

John

Why not just use SSRS? IT comes with SQL Server and it is a very good reporting tool.

"NOTHING is more important in a database than integrity." ESquared

SQL Sister - SSRS had crossed my mind, but I would need to develop a custom authentication mechanism to authenticate using LDAP, as I work in a Novell eDirectory based environment rather than Active Directory.
Having said that I will start looking to see how easy this would be.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back