Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

report type grid???

Status
Not open for further replies.

e106199

Programmer
Nov 17, 2005
US
hi all

i have such scenerio: i have my data in db and i will be creating a report. the first column of the report will keep the number of some item, second column will be the number of another item etc.

so there is no tabular data, i have several calculations and the tricky part is i have to group all these by month. so user will select a start date and an end date. depending on the selection the report will be created in below format:

say start date is 1/1/2005, end date is 9/1/2005

month col1 col2 col3 ....
------ ---- ----- -------
jan 05 4 5 0
feb 05 3 2 2
mar 05 0 1 0
sep 05 4 5 5

my question is, what is the best way of doing this? i dont think i can use datagrid or datalist. How about repeater? or is there something else i can use to accomplish this easily. Once i did it by using a real nasty code in html that creates table rows etc. But i want to do it by using some native web component and with less effort.

Any light will greately be appreciated.

thank you

-shane

I would use SQL(a stored procedure) for the calculations and display in a grid.

Jim

and how would you solve grouping by month problem?
-shane

i dont feel myself confident with sql that much.
is there an example or tutorial that will guide me?
or can you please send a code sniplet
thank you
-shane

Try searching google or asking in one of the SQL forums here on Tek-Tips

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

If you have sql installed, look in books on line. And as c8msm has said, there are plenty of examples and tutorials if you google. Also, the sql server programming forum here is outstanding. I am there everyday, and there are lots of posts and great people who contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back