Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Totals - Detail and Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

thread

Technical User
Mar 20, 2001
US
Hi all - I have a report that consists of a list of people in a department who have made budget requests along with the payments for those requests. It is grouped by department, person, request id. The detail area holds the payments for each request. A request can have more than one payment. I need to have a total of requests by department and a total of the payments for the same department. The problem I am having is that because my report is based on a query, when I total my payments, I get the correct amount but when I total my requests, the report adds in a request for every payment instead of a single request - so:

Request 1 = $100
Payment 1 = $50
Payment 2 = $25
Total Requests = $200 (instead of the $100 I want)
and Total Payments = $75

How do I solve this problem?

You can use a running sum on text boxes. However, I would create a totals query like:
Code:
SELECT Dept, Sum(Request) as DeptRequestSum
FROM tblRequests
GROUP BY Dept;
Then join this totals query to your report's record source query using the Dept fields. Where you need to see the dept sum of request, just bind DeptRequestSum to a text box. Don't sum it.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back