Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Studio - Package - Different Number of Rows For Different Items

Status
Not open for further replies.

pucovsky

Programmer
Feb 16, 2011
I have a package prepared and published in Framework Manager.
When I use this same package in Report Studio I get the required number of rows if I choose all Query Items from a Query Subject. I get more rows if I omit some of Items.

I thought that Subject in Package is similar to DB table, that the number of rows is determined by conditions specified.

Can someone explain me the difference and how package/subject functions?

What I understood is that package is defined by queries. So if I take a query subject from it and put one, all or just several of items into report, the number of rows should be the same...

A subject can refer to one table, but it can also relate to a set of joined tables or even to a database view.
If your query subject contains non-aggregates (identifiers/attributes) AND facts then it would very much depend on what you choose from the query subject.
If you choose only non-aggregates then Cognos automatically adds a distinct clause to the query which may result in less rows returns as duplicates are removed from the resultset

The best way to check it to look at the proposed SQL that Cognos generates. This will give you the clue

Ties Blom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back