Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Studio - Formatting Reports (Best Practice?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pucovsky

Programmer
Feb 16, 2011
Can somebody suggest what's the best practice in formatting reports?

HTML for instance. If I set formatting, my report displays correctly in MS IExplorer but is messed up in Firefox. If I generate PDF using the same formatting (Positioning, Sizes etc.) the report is even more messed up.

Example: I have three lists that use the same query and display the same columns. They are positioned vertically (below/above each other). I want the same column from each of the three lists to be same size. Therefore I set the width of each column in pixels. ---> MSIE renders this without problems, but FF don't.
... I also want a one row table above lists with the number of cells equal to number of columns in list. And, of course, with the width of cells equal to widths of columns. But even when I set the same width of both, when rendered in browser they're not the same size! I'm really helpless here.

You will search in vain for a solution that will work in all formats. If you want exact formatting this way the trick is to have all data in one list (for instance by using unions if the numbers of columns and datatypes match) and then seperating the contents by adding sections to the report (possibly with page sets )

In some cases adding - for instance - underscores to the list headers forces Cognos to render the columns to a fixed width. You should also consider the whitespace and the spacing/breaking properties, but if the datalength is irregular this will not safe the day either..

Ties Blom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back