Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmcmicha

Technical User
May 25, 2000
I have a report in which it queries the database for information and runs IIf statement. This works without a problem, but when I go to create a new report and then try this same query, I get an #Error for the result. I tried a copy and paste of the statement, no luck. Looked up the #Error and tried all relevant troubleshooting steps like making sure the field size was large enough and what not, still no dice.

Code:
=sum(IIf([TABLE].[COL1]=No,0,IIf([TABLE].[COL2]=Yes,0,IIf([TABLE].[COL3]=Yes,0,1))))

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Where did you enter that expression? Is it the control source of a text box in a report section? If so, which section and what is the name of the control. The control name can't be the name of a field and the expression won't work in a PAGE header or PAGE footer.

What are the data types of COL1, COL2, and COL3? If they are yes/no, it is more appropriate to use
Code:
=sum(IIf([TABLE].[COL1]=0,0,IIf([TABLE].[COL2]=0,0,IIf([TABLE].[COL3]<>0,0,1))))

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Do yourself a favor and avoid ever using nested iifs. Nothing good can come of it. Also your logic does not make any sense unless I am missing something.

The only thing that matters is this "
.[COL3]" because no matter the value of [COL1] and [COL2] you do nothing. The only possible thing I can imagine is that you think that nested iifs short circuit, but they do not. Another reason to never use them. So your expression should simply be

=sum(IIf(
.[COL3],0,1))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back