Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report not updating right

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasBrown

Technical User
Jan 15, 2004
ZA
Hi there,

I am using CRXI and SQL

I have a report that is group by an event type i.e
National
International
Exhibition
Government etc

I have writen the report and it works fine. Then I go into the application, change the Event type from National to International as it was entered incorrectly.

Now when I refresh my report it is still under the National Group.

I have done a verify database, I have change Database location and then brought it back to the right DB but it doesn't change the group. I have not saved data with the report either. If I go to Query Analyzer and check it has change it in the database corectly.

The only way I can get it to work is if I delete the Event Type Group and then add it back into the report. Then the event changes groups.

What would be causing this?

Regards
Thomas

If I understand you correctly, you change some data using an application, and then you run the report again and it doesn't see the changed data?

How are you running the report, from within Crystal or some
"application"?

Other than the saved data which you touched on, Crystal doesn't save data and must reread data, so you are either pointing at the wrong database, or perhaps you have some event type formula (not the field), or you've used in specified order within the group selection.

-k

Hi synapsevampire

I get the same result if I run it through the application or through Crystal itself. I am pointing to the right database as well.

As I said, I run the report for the first time, its fine, change data through the application. run the report again through crystal, it doesn't update, then all i do is delete the Group caled Event Type, Add it back into the report and it corrects the data.

The only thing that is slightly differant is that in the Group I have got it in a specified order and I am only showing certain groups and the others are being discarded. But that shouldn't affect anything.

Regards
Thomas

So you recreate the group and do the specified order all over again?

Eliminate the specified order for testing purposes.

Once you determine that the report is being properly updated, then do a specifed ordderifneed be.

Consider an alternative of using formula for grouping instead of the specified order.

Something like:

If {table.event_type} = "National" then
"1National"
else
If {table.event_type} = "International" then
"2International"
else
If {table.event_type} = "Exhibition" then
"3Exhibition
...etc...
else
"9Other"

Then use a display of mid({@MyGroupFormula},2) as the display.

Might get around the nuisance...

-k

Hi,

I have found what was wrong, but it is still not doing what it should do. It was indeed looking at an old testing database. What is odd and I don't know what is causing this is if I go to Database --> Set Database Location ... Create new DB Connection and Update on the database I'm using (Current DB) and I look at the Properties of the database it updates. Using Crystal 9 it then updated all the tables under that automatically BUT if I go to each table used in the report and look at each on individually it has not updated, it still looks at the old DB, I have tried go to each table individualy and update and some of the table properties update but most remain on the old database. Is this a problem with Crystal 11, should I try a re-install, if I load the SP1 will it rectify this problem?

Regards
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back