Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report losing database path

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxxam

Technical User
Jun 13, 2003
US
Hello,

I created a report and saved it to a network directory F:\ZZZ. Another user is using the report but they frequently have to reestablish where the databses references in the report are located. The path seems to want to change to where the reports are stored (i.e. F:\zzz rather then where the data resides (i.e. M:\data\rs.dbf). Why is this happening? What am I doing wrong? I have gone to the PC in question and used the ODBC Data Source Administrator and created a "System DSN" set to the path (M:\data\rs.dbf) however it always seems to change. Any suggestions on what I'm doing worng?

MAXXAM

It sounds like the mapping maybe different on the client's side than what you set up locally. I am guessing you're using a file based application (such as MS Access) as your data source.

In my experience, I have always tried to use absolute network references instead of mapping to a drive. So, for example, setting up the network location as \\data1\data2 instead of M:\data2 so the report is portable across desktops/servers.

I believe Crystal Reports has a wizard under the Database menu (Database --> Set Location --> Convert to UNC) which lets you change from a relative reference to an absolute network path (universal naming convention).

B.

I did what you suggested but there is no change. What is suppossed to happen when you select Convert to UNC? I clicked on the button but there is no change .. at least not one I can see. The path in the description box doen not change to \\xxx\ it remains m:\XXX. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back