Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Listing Method

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 2, 2005
US
I've developed a variety of reports using 2005 MSS Reporting Services and searching for a visually appealing method to list the reports to the consumers.

Initially, I created a simple list report with the individual rows of the list report hyperlinked to the actual Reporting Services reports.

Is anyone aware of a different method or technique to create a listing of Reporting Services reports that's more visually appealing than a standard list report?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

You could create a .net Windows application to list/run them from. I'm not sure that's what you are looking for though.
~Brett

--------------------------
Web/.net Programmer & DBA
Central PA

Thanks for both the replies.

The home page of the Report Manager is not preferred due to the limited info describing the report; and the appearance is pretty bland.

How complex would creating a ".net Windows application to list/run them from"?

Is the Details View button on the Report Manager still too bland? It shows more information than the standard view. And you can supply a URL directly for the Details View.

If Details View still doesn't work for you, I would either opt for your first option with a report to display links to your reports, or, creating an ASP.Net style page.

Unfortunately, the additional information provided by revealing the 'Details View' button on the Report Manager is insufficient.

Where can I obtain more info on "creating an ASP.Net style page."

Thanks again for your help

Actually, I should back up a little bit. If you're content with creating a web page with links and descriptions and are fine with editing the page by hand any time you have a new report to list or when something changes, then just create a regular HTML web page. You can get help for that in the HTML forum (assuming one exists here).

If you would like to create a web page which is more dynamic and pulls information from a database, you need to create a server side web page. The current Microsoft technology for that is ASP.Net. To create applications in ASP.Net, you should really know some C# or VB.Net. There's a forum for that here forum855, although if you've never attempted that type of programming before, you should read some tutorials. Here's a Microsoft site for beginners:
Also, to create an ASP.Net application, it's best to have full fledged Visual Studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back