Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report in browser - complete beginner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

warchyld

IS-IT--Management
Aug 6, 2003
Hello,
Complete beginner here with ASP, so forgive me.
What I'm looking to do is display 1 or 2 reports in a web browser.
I have Crystal 9, with the RAS but no prior knowledge of ASP, and the powers that be don't want to shell out the cash for full blown Enterprise.

I read that I could have code as simple as:
<A HREF=ActiveXViewer.asp?ReportName=test.rpt>Link</a>
to view the report.
When I open this in IE the ActiveX viewer opens, but I don't get any report at all. In this case test.rpt isn't even linked to any databases - It's simply a report with "Test" as a text object.

Can it be this simple, or do I have to delve deeper into ASP?

Does anyone have any references or links? Again, I don't need to do anything too outrageous - simply be able to open and refresh the reports, and the reports are fairly simple.

Thanks.

So using the supplied Crystal ASP files I should be able to do something as simple as my example?

I actually did try a real report first, and got nothing (just the blank ActiveX viewer window - no report) so I wanted to try just a blank report, to see if it was perhaps a connection problem.

I'll check out that link.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back