Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report In a 17" x 11" paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfern246

Programmer
Jan 16, 2002
US
Hi! Everyone,

Is it possible to create a report looks like this?

Header1 Header2 Header3 Header1 Header2 Header3
-------------------------------------------------------
AAAA 1111 101 DDDD 4444 104
BBBB 2222 102 EEEE 5555 105
CCCC 3333 103 FFFF 6666 106

The rows will be read from the Oracle database through SQL. I need to fill-in the 17"x11".
If possible, please give me some hints.

Thanks,

Dan

look in the section expert...you can format multi-columns for details but not headers.

A more messy but workable method is to assign the values to arrays and then print out the results in a footer(s)

the number of lines/formula would depend on the amount of data for each header (limited by the one with the largest number of characters).

eg. if header3 had data with 8 characters then each formula could handle 254/8 ~ 30 lines....the formula would be "can grow"

the display formula is simple

@Display - Header1-1

stringvar array Header1; //initialized to null earlier
stringvar resultH1-1 := "";

resultH1-1 := header1[1] + chr(13) + chr(10) +
header1[2] + chr(13) + chr(10) +
header1[3] + chr(13) + chr(10) +
header1[4] + chr(13) + chr(10) +
header1[5];
resultH1-1;

You could also build a for/next loop for display of 30 items of course....this is easy to clone and create more display formulas. Initializing the arrays to null means you can forget about them if they aren't used (create several subsections and put "suppress if blank" checks on

I have used this approach often and it works out well....there is a limit of 1000 items / array but that can be worked around by filling another array and creating more formulas

the worst part of this approach is the tedium of cloning...
but it works and you get exactly the look you want

Hope this helps...Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back