Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report From two data sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

teccum

Technical User
Aug 19, 2001
US

I need to create a report where a part of the data is from the excell file. Basically there is a report which has columns - Budget, Actual(claim net amount for all line of business(LOB) - available in the database), %Over/Under(Total claim amount /claim net amount for a particular Line of Business - data available for this too)

Here the data from 'Budget' column is a seperate Excel file which the user says that he wants to see the report along with other columns since he can then compare and make analysis.

As far as my knowledge goes I think MSTR reports can be built from only one datasource. I have not created reports form multiple sources so far.

Do anyone have idea about how to accomplish this.

Kindly give your suggestions.

Thanks
teccum.

check in version 8. Can access Excel via generic ODBC driver, and can place cross datasource calculations on documents.

Thanks nlim,

The version which we are using is 7.5.3. The business is
yet to make a decision on migrating to 8.0 version.

I will check on Mstr 8.0

Thanks
teccum.

Hi Teccum,

I know that there is a round-about for the purpose that you mentioned in your post.

Can I have another project created for your second source of data and use datamarts to bring the results from EXCEL into your original project?

Hope that helps.

- Leo

Thanks Leo1278.

I can create another project but since the source is an
excel file, i could not create the project. I have not
created the reports from the datamarts still.

However, temporarily, this is what, I have done.

Created a table with only one field "Budget" in the
database and loaded the Budget data(In Excel file) into
the Budget column of the table.

Included the Budget table into the project. Created an
attribute for the Budget field. created the
report with the rest of the fields since there were data
for those attributes.

Finally included this attribute 'Budget' into the report.
This is just a temporary solution and this is not a drill
down report.

Another possibility which I tried was exporting the
reports without the Budget data into Excel and then
copying the Budget data into the excel and delivering it
to the users.

Thanks
teccum.

We have had similar issues where certain rows of data were from an excel file. Here is what we did to get around the issue.

We have our Mstr report dump data to a excel template. Sheet #2 is used for Mstr data, and sheet #3 for the excel spread sheet. Sheet #1 is formatted to reference the cells from the right sheets. This template is then loaded in to NarrowCaster and distribute to the users. If you don't use NarrowCaster, you may want to look in to auto export to excel and use post macro. As long as the user don't mind the output in excel,,,

Thanks JAC74,

I plan to do the same to partially satisfy the users.

teccum.

teccum, if that's the case, I would recommend you take a look at the MicroStrategy office product. Apparently you can run regular MSTR reports right from inside excel without going through web. ie. something like an excel add-in.

Thanks nlim,

I am also whether the company have the license for
Microstrategy office product.

thanks
teccum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back