Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Format Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

omega1983

Programmer
Dec 21, 2004
US
I am trying to keep gifteffdate and acct# together to show a report as follows:
date name acct# trans amt pledge balance
1/12/03 J Doe 4100 Pledge 200
1/15/03 J Doe 4100 Payment 150 50
1/19/03 F Doe 3255 Pledge 500
1/23/05 F Doe 3255 Payment 100 400
This is the order I want.
1. Gifteffdate must be acsending order
2. Acct# must be in one group along with the gifteffdate
3. Total balance on the same line as the payment to show that there is a balance due. Essentially I want to total by acct#. The formula I want to use is pledge-payment+writeoff = outstanding pledge balance
4. The sequence must be Pledge, payment, writeoff, gift.

Here is the problem. The database will show the transactions as they happen. Usually the pledge comes first but in some cases this is not the case. Also since a person can make a payment at any time, the report will show a payment made 2 years apart. This means I cannot total by acct#. The object is to keep gifteffdate and acct# together
Will I need to somehow create a fake group bring the geifteffdate and acct# together somehow.

Are you trying to group by account # or by the gifteffdate initially?

You can create a group on the account # and then list the details of the account under that group or vice versa.

It is unclear from your writing but it seems that you need to create a balancing formula.

For each account # sum up the amount per account and subtract it from the pledge.

Create a formula "Balance" and place it in the account header or footer, whichever desired as follows:

{pledge}-Sum ({amt}, {acct#})

skries
I am trying to initially group by effective date and then by account number. I want to total all pledges payments and gifts by the particular account number then move on to the next account#, still grouping by date in ascending. Would the advise you gave me still be appropriate

It sounds like you need 2 groups.

First group by effective date
second group by account #

You can still use the same scenario for each account # group under the effective date.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back