Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report fills hard disk when run 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashGorden

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2001
EU
Hi

I am new to Crystal so excuse any daft questions. I am reporting on an Oracle database that currently has 28 million records. When I run a report my C drive is filled very quickly and often causes a crash.

Is there any way I can stop this happening or redirect these temp files (if thats what they are) to another larger drive?

Thanks

Hi

I had the same problem. In the NT system properties point your TEMP directory from C:\TEMP to another drive i.e. D:\Temp.

Hope this helps...

Nuffsaid

Flash -

Assumming that you are looking at summary data and not the detail of the 28 million records, go to File, Report Options and make sure the "perform grouping on Server" is clicked on.

This lets the server do the lion's share of the work and only sends back the summary data to the client. Much better performancewise and hopefully less of an impact on your C:\ drive.

The other alternative I can think of is to let the "workspace" of crystal be a network location rather than C:\temp, but I do not know how to set that location. Software Support for Sage Mas90, Macola, Crystal Reports, Goldmine and MS Office

It sounds as if your selection criteria is getting evaluated on the client and you are bringing all of the records to the PC before the final record selection is being made.

Play around with the selection criteria or try writing a stored procedure instead.

send only those records to report which you want to display.
For this either write stored procedure in Oracle and link that to report directly or use Database SQL Query in Database menu in Crystal Report. If you have any problem in connecting oracle stored procedure to Crystal than let me know.

Have you got the "Save data with report" flag set. If so then dragging a fair proportion of 28 million records into the report may also be causing your hard drive to fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back