Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report - Edit Selection Formula - Group: formula disappears!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baggers2003

Programmer
Oct 15, 2003
GB
HI all,

I am pretty new to this, so apologies if this is a silly question, but I Have entered the following into the Report - Edit Selection Formula - Group formula window:

NOT IsNull(Sum ({D020FIG_LY.STERL01}, {CTPATMS.PTCATG}))OR
NOT IsNull(Sum ({D020FIG_TM.STERL01}, {CTPATMS.PTCATG})) OR
NOT IsNull(Sum ({D020FIG_TY.STERL01}, {CTPATMS.PTCATG})) OR
NOT IsNull(Sum ({D020FIG_LM_1.STERL01}, {CTPATMS.PTCATG}))

However, although the equation was OK, it produced a result I did not want, but when I went back to change it - it was gone! Also, if I right click on "Group #2 Name" in the design view (this being the group that the above sum() refers to) and choose the Select expert for any of the fields in the formula above - there is nothing there either.

How do I edit Group selection formula? Surely there's a way? Does anyone know?

Cheers,
Steve

Do not use that window. Instead, create a regular CR formula and group by it. Then you will be able edit grouping logic by editing the formula.

you cannot use a formula containing summary functions (eg. Sum) as a grouping formula

Jim Broadbent

The quality of the answer is directly proportional to the quality of the problem statement!

Hi,

Thanks for your responses. It may be helpfull to explain what I am trying to achieve. I have a database on our server which has a list of sales values for each product, each product belonging to a category. The top level of my report shows only the categories. Some of the categories have no value associated with them and the board don't want to see these entries on the report.

I tried to use the above formula in the Group selection formula, it was succesful in that it changed my data, but it also changed the totals at the bottom, meaning that it no longer balances with other reports I know are right, and is therefore not only removing blank rows, but also rows with value in too.

My problem is that when I go back into the groups selection area, my formula is no longer there, and so I can't delete it. I've spent alot of time on this report with running totals and loads of formatting, so I don't want to start again.

Have you, or anyone else got any suggestions I may find helpful with this problem?

Cheers,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back