Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repoint java cache?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allywilson

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
GB
Hi all,
I'm quite interested to find out if it's possible to repoint a common java cache for all users of a single PC.

Scenario: Java web application checks to see if a cache of its JAR files exists on the local machine, if not, then it promptly downloads them to a specific location on the users profile (%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\11) the last directory is between 0-60 - but for some reason it is always 11 for the current release of the web application we're using, followed by renaming the whatever.jar file to a random 17 digit number (8digits followed by a hyphen and then another 8digits).

What I'd like to know is if I can manipulate/predict the full 17 digits? Is it a setting on the webserver giving out the jar file or is it a java setting on the local machine? I'd quite like to repoint it to a local store (e.g. C:\java\whatever.jar) so that anyone who logs on to the workstation uses the same cache (rather than downloading it a load of times for each workstation).

Cheers,

Maybe if you set the cache directory to a common one for all users.

Cheers,
Dian

Figured out how to do this.

Create 2 files at %WINDIR%\Sun\Java\Deployment called deployment.config and deployment.properties

Inside deployment.config put the following: deployment.system.config=file/:C\:/WINDOWS/Sun/Java/Deployment/deployment.properties

In the second file deployment.properties put the following: deployment.user.cachedir=C\:\\java_cache

Job's a good 'un and everyone who uses the machine will use C:\java_cache instead of the usual one stored in their user specific profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back