Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

repoint ex2k server to new AD domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 12, 2003
US
I have two domains (A and B) running in live environment.
I have a W2k/Ex2k/DC machine in domainA and I want to move the machine to domainB. I'm not sure about the message store impact among any other issues that may arise. I've seen most people creating a new EX2k machine and doing a SWING, but we've been 'matching' users from domainA with domainB so most of the necessary exchange accounts are duplicated from A to B. Is it possible/advisable to try to demote and rejoin this machine into domain B?
Looking for suggestions!
Thanks,
Chris

would not suggest doing this. For exchage to work properly it has to be in an AD domain. If you demote this server which is a DC and there are no other DC's in the domain then this may cause so sort of corruption on the STore.

Also i personally have never demoted a DC and then put one into another domain. COuld get messy what with DNS registration and any Roles that may be left on the old server.

Sorry not much help i know but it just sounds to risky!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back