Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replied time stamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSHH

IS-IT--Management
Aug 16, 2002
US
Hi guys

I have noticed that when replying to an e-mail message using Microsoft Outlook 2000, the original message is time stamped as follows:

[COLOR=black yellow]"You replied on day/month/year hrs:min. click here to fine all related messages"[/color]

All this comes with a yellow background at the top of the message.

However I've noticed that there is not way of adding the column "replied" or "responded" in to the columns bar on the right hand panel of Outlook. Due to a particular job taking place at the moment I need to monitor the time it is taking from the moment an e-mail message comes through a particular mailbox until the moment it is responded so it would be great if I could place the column "received" close to a column showing "replied or responded" times instead of having to open every original message one by one to look on the time stamp.

I have tried the column "modified" but noticed that this one is not always accurate showing some times between 1 to 3 minutes difference from the yellow time stamp in the original message

Can you guys please advise if this "replied time stamp" can be added or created as a column and how, any other suggestions, ways around etc will be appreciated.

Many Thanks

You can only use the columns listed, or create a custom one, for your own notes or so.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To your Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Marc

Thank you for replying. I have been looking to the options create a customised one for replied times, however I havn't been able to work it out. do you or anyone out there have any idea of how to do this

Thanks again

i have looked and tried to add a new Field called REPLIED in the custom user defined fields and it does about the same the the Modified field does.

as an alternative, if you are using a mail server inhouse, you can ask the sys admin to download the logs from the server that shows the time stamps from that end. not exactly user friendly but it may be an audit tool you could use. not sure of your use or urgency in tracking the time stamps but just thought i would throw this out for you.

Hi Mark
Thanks again for replying. It is exactly that what I'm trying to avoid as unfortunately logs file are not user friendly as you said plus they come out with logs for every message that came through even if the do not need a reply, they also appear as send and not replied so it will be difficult to write an script to extract this data accurately. It looks like few more mouse clicking will be the "easiest choice"

Thank you for spending some of your time testing and replying to my question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back