Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replication

Status
Not open for further replies.

ganjass

Technical User
Dec 30, 2003
GB
SQL server 2000
Transactional Replication

Hi all, i'm new to replication on SQL server, and have been conducting some trial runs for replication to a reports Database. Initial runs went ok, but we deal with a live DB that is always being added to with additional tables on occasion, and additional columns.

On the test i ran i added 2 columns with default data to 2 tables. The subscriber did not have the changes made to the publisher, any ideas?

In addition are there any other sites apart from MS SQl Servers home site onn replication.

Cheers

You need to add the columns to the publication manually.

Go to Replication and open it up until you find the proper publication. Right click publication, go to properties. When properties opens up, go to the Articles tab. Forgive me, I don't have my rep'd db in front of me, so I'm doing this by memory. If I get a tab wrong, search around until you see what I'm talking about.

There is, on the Articles tab a list of the tables replicated. There is also a box to check to add columns to the table. You may have to double-click the table or highlight the table within the tab to see this choice. This is the proper spot to add columns to the table. Then you can add them to the article.

WARNING: If you add columns to the table in Table Design mode or via Alter Table, then you risk breaking your replication. I've done this before. Rep only likes it if you add the columns to the table via the Publication links.

There is a Column Filter tab (I think) that you can pick and choose to add the columns (once added to the table) to the article.

Re-initialize the subscription and re-run the snapshot. You can re-run the snapshot from the properties window. It's the very last tab on the row of tabs opposite the Articles/Column & Row Filters tabs.

Then you should be set to go on replication.

If that doesn't help, let me know.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"If a person is Microsoft Certified, does that mean that Microsoft pays the bills for the funny white jackets that tie in the back???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back