Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replication, Synchronization & Linked Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

aexley

Technical User
Jul 9, 2001
GB
I have one Design Master and one Replica linked to tables in a back-end database. Because this is a 'work-in-progress' database as well as a usable one, I have fairly frequent changes to my Front-end that need to be reflected in the replica.

My problem is that each time I synchronize with the replica from the design master so that it is up to date with the latest changes, the links to the tables are replicated too and I have to go to the replica and use the Linked Table Manager to re-establish the links to the b-e.

This isn't too much of a problem at the moment (except it annoys my colleague when I have to kick her off her machine) but obviously this is going to be impractical if the number of users starts to climb. I don't want to have to go around half-a-dozen machines for example and have to update the links on them all.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Quote for the day: "If you don't tell you're partner how much you care the rest of the year, what's the point of Valentines day?" (Soppy I know but it is the season :)

Try these two links below. They may help. One is an FAQ on replication and describes a process to recreate the CONNECT string for your tables. The other is a tool to convert you design master to regular db (Access 97).

If you are only making design changes to your front-end forms etc, I would recommend the process described below.

When you created the design master you should have only selected the qry, frm, rpt, mcr and mod to be replicated, NOT the tables, as these are linked anyway.

You will need to recover your design master back to normal db, there is a good tool on Microsoft Knowledge Base to do this.

Then, create you design master again, but don't replicate the tables.

Good luck :-9

Many thanks Mikehoot. Going to try it.

Just a quick question.

Do you know if this works OK with Access 2000?

Thanks.

To convert back to original I would look for 2000 version on their site. I'm sure it is there. Try looking at the 97 page and check out the keywords at the bottom of the document. Then repeat these for a search on Access 2000.

:-9

No 2000 version as far as I can see but there is a downladable Replication FAQ file that I'm going to check out.

Many thanks for your help.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back