Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

replication sql server agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlabac

Programmer
Jan 22, 2004
US
I am trying to set up my first replication ever. I am going to be setting up a replication between our server onsite and publish a few tables to an offsite server. I am going to use the onsite server it’s own distributor.

In the Configure Publishing and Distribution Wizard i select my server as the Distributor. I get a message saying, "SQL Server Agent on "My Server" currently uses the system account, which causes replication between server to fail. Specify another account for the Service startup account". It then takes me to the SQL Server Agent Properties and shows that the startup account is the system account. If I select "This account it populate the "LocalSystem" and some password. I select ok and get a message. "To use replication between servers, select another server to be the Distributor for "My server"

Again, this is my first attempt at setting up a replication. I have read through Replication on BOL and can’t find any help on this.

Could someone please give me a hand and guide me in the right direction?

Thanks for you help!

You need to create a domain account and setup the SQL Server agent to run under this account. For greater security you should also have your SQL Server run under this account.

This account should not be a domain administrator, nor a local administrator on the server. The only additional rights that it needs are to "Log on as a service", and "Interact as part of the Operating system".

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back