Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replication question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 10, 2000
US
I have a SQL Server 7.0 database that is using transactional replication to move updates to a data warehouse database for reporting.
This may be easy, but I am not a DBA.

Here is the question:
If there are ever schema changes to the source database, how can I (if it is possible at all) cause those schema changes to be moved automatically to the data warehouse database?
...or do I have to reinitialize manually every time? (which I really do not want to do)

Thanks,

Eric

Hi,

You will need to apply a snapshot again (yes, initialize it). This is because snapshot initialization applies a schema file (among other files).

Hope this helps...

Tom

I say this, of course, assuming a few things...

Sometimes, you can alter the schema of your subscribing tables, and then synchronize the altered data... I just recommend the initialization for cases such as when you have anonymous pull subscriptions, or when you have smaller impacts on re-initializing the data.

Sometimes, you want to manually initialize the data, then just synchronize it after the manual initialzation takes place (such a case could be that you have so much data that initialization is unreasonable).

So, my previous post dealt with the case of multiple subscribing databases, anonymous pull subscriptions, or a smaller amount of data that you are dealing with...

Hope this clarifies and helps...
Tom Davis
tdavis@sark.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back