Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

replication problem - upgrading 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TysonLPrice

Programmer
Jan 8, 2003
US
I'm posting this for a fellow worker.

Upgrading Server Hardware and changing from Default Instance of SQL Server 2005 Standard 32bit on Windows 2003 32 bit to New Server Hardware with Named Instance of SQL Server 2005 Standard 64bit on Windows 2008 R2 .

I built the new server, created the named instance, restored the system DBs, and restored the user DBs.

My problem: Now I can't drop, rebuild, configure, or do anything with my transactional replication.

I receive the following error message:

An error occurred connecting to Publisher 'NewServer\Instance'
Additional Information: SQL Server requires the actual server name to make a connection to the server. Connections through a server alias, IP address, or any other alternative name are not supported. Specify the actual server name, 'OldServerName'. (Replication.Utilities)

Where is this former server name stored? How do I wipe out everything in replication related to old server so I can start from scratch and use my modified replication scripts from the old server to rebuild replication? I would think there is a simple script that would clean up all this old information so you can rebuild replication on your new server.

Additional info: I've already followed the steps outlined in the following article which did not solve my problem.

How to: Disable Publishing and Distribution (Replication Transact-SQL Programming)

sp_dropsubscriber 'servername', @Ignore_distributor =1
sp_removedbreplication
use [master]
exec sp_dropdistributor @no_checks = 1, @Ignore_distributor =1

All commands ran successfully but I still receive same error when I try to configure publishing

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

You need to tell the master database what the new server name is.

Code:
exec sp_dropserver 'OldServerName'
go
exec sp_appserver 'NewServerName\NewInstance'
go

Then you'll need to restart the SQL Instance.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Site

mrdenny to the rescue...

I passed that on to him and he will be in soon (7:00 AM EST).

Thanks!

mrdenny you sure put a smile on his face :)

That worked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back