Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replication (please help!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrivera

Technical User
Sep 14, 2000
PR
Greetings.

I'm using SQL Server 7. When I go through the "Configure Publisher and Distribution Wizard", when I press "Next" in the first screen, I get the already famous message:

"SQL Server Enterprise Mgr could not complete the wizard because @@SERVERNAME for '' is NULL. Use sp_addserver to set @@SERVERNAME."

In an attempt to solve this, I dropped this local server from the Linked Servers folder, then executed:

sp_addserver 'MyServer','LOCAL'

I then ran a query to sysservers and saw that "MyServer" has a srvid of 0.

Even though, when I run SELECT @@SERVERNAME I still get a null, and thus can't run the wizard!

Please somebody advise.

Thanks.

J.C.

I had this happen to me before too. The only way I was able to resolve it was to manually edit the sysservers table in the Master database. In my situation, there was a record for my server in this table but the srvid was incorrect. In order to correct my problem, I had to set my svrid to zero. I believe zero indicates that it is the local server. For more information on this table, search BOL for sysservers.
Hope this helps...

My apologies - guess I didn't read your entire post... I would check the rest of the fields in sysservers for invalid information. Sorry I can't be of more help. :-(

You've probably already done this.... but you'll want to stop and restart your SQL Server after making any changes to the sysservers table (either manually or via system sps like sp_addserver).

How I didn't think on that before????!!!

I just came from stopping/starting the SQL's engine and finally began to work!

Thanks for your assistance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back