Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

replication performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhofing

MIS
Dec 12, 2001
CA
Hello, we are considering using Transactional replication here to replicate a production database to another server that the users can use for adhoc queries and report generation.

My replication experience is limited. I would like to get some opinions from others as to what kind of performance impact we can expect. I realize that only testing (which we will be doing) will give us the actual performance characteristics. But I would like to get some general guidelines if I could as a starting point.

We are using SQL 7, the distribution database and adhoc/reporting database will be on the same server (ie seperate from production).

Thanks everyone!!

Ric

Ric,

I would suggest by looking at SQL 2000 and secondly do you really want to send over transactions. The question comes down to 1) do i want near real time or 2) is performance better and do our replication at night. It is important to have a good set of requirements before working on a solid design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back