Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replication/mirroring Iomega ix4-200d

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyCorbett

Technical User
Jan 30, 2003
US
Hello - here is my issue. I am setting up a virtual environment using VMWare ESXi. I have all that working fine. I am using 2 Iomega ix4-200d storage units for shared storage. The are connected via iSCSI. I have all the VMs on one and I need to find a way to keep unit 2 replicated/mirrored with unit 1 (unit 2 is a standy by unit). I have not had much luck with getting it done and not having it take a rediculously long time to complete. Any ideas?

The problem you're going to face is that the files you want to replicate are open (the vmdk files etc).

The only way you would be able to safely duplicate the data across to the second disk would be via a third party product thats vmware aware and will either snapshot the vm's and store them that way. Or power off the VMs of a night time, back them up (using something like rsync or something else that can read the vmfs data) or backup using a third party backup product (or maybe VCB but I am not too sure on VCB).

I have a couple of Terastation Pro 11's, these use an inbuilt product that will keep the two boxes sync'd (probably rsync in all honesty).

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back