Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replication between two servers in same site

Status
Not open for further replies.

JemimaS

Technical User
Mar 20, 2003
GB
We have two servers in one site. I have just set up the second server.

What kind of replication can I expect between the two servers? I was expecting the servers to replicate everything, so if I turn one server off, the users continue without noticing - or at least, start using the other server.

Am I completely wrong? or have I set it all up incorrectly?

Jemima

I have been asked to do the same thing. Let me know if you get a response.

If your looking to setup replication for Public Folders this is the process: This will replica public folders from server 1 to server 2.
(1) Start the Exchange 5.5 Administrator program, and then connect to the Exchange Server 5.5 computer on Server2.
(2) Locate the following folder, and then click Public Folder Resources: Organization\Site\Configuration\Server\ServerName\Public Information Store\Public Folder Resources
(3) For each public folder in the right pane, click File, and then click Properties.
(4) On the Replicas tab, make sure that only the Server1 is listed on the right side under Replicate folders to. If Server1 is listed on the left side under Servers, click the Server2, and then click 'Add' to move it to the right side. Allow time for your public folder data to replicate to the Server2. The more data you have in public folders, the longer it will take. It can take hours or even days if you have a large amount of data.
(5) Verify that the size (in KB) reported here is approximately the same as that which the Exchange Administrator utility reported for each folder on your Exchange 5.5 server. They should be approximately the same size when replication has completed.
(6) To further verify the replication of public folder data has completed. Follow these steps: (a) Log on to an Outlook (MAPI) client that has a mailbox hosted on the Server2. (b) Temporarily stop the Information Store service on the Server1 computer. (c) Verify that you have access to all the public folders that have been replicated to the Server2 from the Outlook client
(7) When all of your public folder data has been replicated to the Server2 you can remove the replica from the Server1 Server after you change the home server. Please read below for this process.

Are you ready to remove Replica on server 1 after you fully migrate to Server2?
You should also remove all public folder replicas in Exchange Site by doing the following:
On the server1, click the Public Information Store object, and then click Properties on the File menu.
On the Instances tab, click Server2 on the Site menu.
If there are folders listed in the Public Folders area, select all of them, and then click Add to add an instance to the Folders on this Information Store area.
You must connect to all servers in Exchange Site, and then view the Instances tab on the properties of the Public Information Store object. Select all folders that are listed under the Folders on this Information Store area, and then click Remove to remove all folder instances from server1 from the site. You must also rehome any public folders that are homed on any server in Exchange_Site. For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
185010 How to Rehome Public Folders

Wait for public folder replication to populate all replicas and home server changes to any of the Public Folders. The changes must occur in all Exchange Server sites throughout your Exchange Server organization before you continue.

Good luck and hope this helps?

If you need to know Directory Replication let me know.

Greg Candido
Manhattan Information Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back