Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

replication bandwidth planning 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

juliamcd

IS-IT--Management
May 10, 2004
US
I am a newbie trying to plan for replication between two data centers. For budgeting reasons I've been asked to estimate the bandwidth requirements for the replication. Our transaction volume is aprox 500,000 transactions per month, with hourly peaks at around 2000 per hour. Each transaction is about 2K. We will be load balancing between the two data centers. Can anyone recommend an aproximate bandwidth requirement? So far I have had one recommendation of a 10mbps pipe. Thanks!

If you are planning on peaking at 2000 transactions per hour I would recommend planning for 3000 per hour. To be able to handle moving 3000 per hour you'll need to be able to move 6 MB per hour.

With a peak of 3000 per hour, you will be averaging about 1 per second (assuming real time replication).

Are you planning on replicating in real time, or hourly? Real time replication requires a smaller pipe as the data is spread out over the hour. With 2000 or 3000 per hour, a 10 MB connection between the data centers should be more then enough.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

We will be replicating in real time. I'll plan on budgeting for the 10mb pipe then. Thanks for your advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back