Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replicate VB Grid in CR9

Status
Not open for further replies.

mulchman

Programmer
Apr 1, 2002
US
Hello

Using:
VB6
Oracle DataBase
Crystal Reports Version 9

In our VB 6 application, we have many forms with data grids. The data in these grids we wish to print using CR9. There are approximately 300 to 400 datagrids which means 300 to 400 reports.

What I am looking for is a quick way to produce the Crystal Reports with the fields containing the data grid information.

I am looking at Report Creation API where I would dynamically generate the Crystal reports and use either a table Or XML to feed in the attributes for the Report Creation API PRocess.

Each Report would vary in the number of fields and formatting.

My questions are:
1) Is Report Creation API the way to go?
2) Are there any other recommentations?
3) Has anyone used the Report Creation API Process?
4) Is the Report Creation API time consuming is terms of code needed (I plan to build a class module) and populating the XML documment with the names of the fields, formatting of the fields, location of the fields etc ?

My gut feeling is to use the reports creation wizard for each individual report because the users will want to reformat the reports and additional changes.

Thanks

The report creation API is straight forward. My book explains it in detail or you can plod through the doc files that ship with Crystal Reports. However, it will require additional licensing and royalties to Crystal Decisions.

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP, Author, CrysDev: A Developer's Guide to Integrating Crystal Reports"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back