Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing wiring - looking for suggestions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPettit

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2003
US
We're contemplating doing an overhaul of the communications wiring in some of our buildings. My goal is to provide Gigabit Ethernet and VOIP service to each user. I was just curious as to what the general consensus is in regard to small/medium businesses.

1. Stick with Cat5e or "future-proof" with Cat6/6a?
2. Separate wiring for PC's and IP phone systems (especially when using PoE for the phones)?
3. When you're not exactly sure what will be in an office, how many cable runs?
- 1 for PC + IP phone?
- 1 for PC and 1 for IP phone?
- 1 for PC, 1 for printer, and 1 for IP phone?
- etc.

Unless you foresee 10 gig ethernet in your future, I would stick to Cat5e. If you plan to be in that building over 10 years, consider Cat 6a.

If you will have 10 gig, but only in the server room, then Cat 6 makes sense in the server room. It is only good for 10 gig for 37 to 55 meters.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I would go ahead use cat 6. the cost of 10/100/1000 mbps nic cards are getting cheap and even though cat 5e will support them you don't have much room for error especially on long runs. using cat 6 will allow more robust/durable runs that will allow room for error.

I would also follow tia/eia standards and Pull 2 cables but plan for 3 in your spaces and pathways so you have room for future growth.

T.R.
RCDD

there may not be any stupid questions
but their is a bunch of inquizative idiots
(myself included at times)

TR has you in the right direction. Two data outlets per desk. This will cover you regardless of what telephone system is installed. Try (and trust me i know it's hard) to make them point out areas where you will need your fax/copiers. Then plan on two outlets there (one voice one data) and you will be pretty much covered.

As for how many in areas you are unsure of? Well if where you are is like it is here, you cant win. I can have three places wired in an office and they will want it on the only wall that doesn't have an outlet. Go figure..

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

I agree with T.R. and Mike. I suspect that if you really wanted to future-proof the installation, you'd probably end up running fiber, as opposed to copper, to each position.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

How long is your lease for? What codes are being enforced by Property Managers/Owners in your area. Here in San Diego, we are seeing more and more, that when you leave a lease, you rip out all communication wiring at your expense and you put in brand new when you move in to the new location. Point being, if you only have a year left on your lease, I would wait.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I agree with T.R, The cost of cat6 ( at least here in Los Angeles) is about the same at Cat5e. The jacks are $1.75 more and the faceplates are the same price. The wire is about the same price as well.

Remeber that most VOIP phones have two ports per phone, so if you buy the right swicth ( POE) and programm the VLAN's right, you can run a Converged network and save money on your cabling. We have run huge car dealerships with only 1 cable in each office.

"Voice & Data Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back