Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing Windows Web Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swede68

Technical User
May 12, 2011
US
I have a network with 4 servers (web, mail, misc.) and 6 workstations. I would like to replace/upgrade our old web server with a new machine, both running Windows Server 2003. I've transferred all the websites and DNS records to the new server. Have IIS installed, but I'm at a complete loss as to how I go about making the new server active?

I've tried using the TCP/IP settings from the old server, but that does no good. Do I need to edit anything in the router? Does it matter that the new server has a different name? I'm at a complete loss as what to do.

I've got PHP, MySQL, phpMyAdmin installed and they all run fine when I check but can't see anything outside the intranet.

How do I tell the network that the new machine is the web server?

Does anybody have a guide with detailed steps of what I need to do to swap out a Windows Server 2003?

I've Googled for days and can't find anything about setting up a server on a network.

Thanks a bunch.

Really? No reply after all these views? Are you telling me no one subscribing in this forum can help??

If you have transferred your content, have maintained the same IP addressing, etc.. did you;

1. Check to see that you don't have Windows firewall active on your new server?

2. Did you actually shutdown the original server and rename the new server to the old server (or does it have a different hostname)

You haven't really provided enough detail here. Maybe you can outline the steps you have performed, if the servers were part of an AD domain, etc.

I'm not a fan of renaming or using the same IP because it requires (at least a couple of minutes) downtime.

Things you have to look at:
If everything works INSIDE your network - meaning the web site functionality is all working as expected, then it's likely a firewall/dns/routing issue.

If things are NOT working internally, then it could be an issue with the config on the server, but could also be a (local) firewall/dns/routing issue.

Generally, when things work inside and not oustide, it's because the firewall isn't configured correctly for NAT or port forwarding.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Both web servers are configured and up and running, the old one having hosted websites for years. I can log into both using Remote Desktop.

Now I want to make the new server the default web server and eventually take the old one offline. This is where I'm stuck. IIS is up and running and I've copied all the website DNS records to the new server.

So how do I make the new server the default web server? Are there any settings in the router I need to look at?

Thanks again.

When people come from the outside, do they rely on your DNS server to come find you or are you using a hosted DNS service? When trying to access your server from the outside, what happens if run an nslookup against your domain name.. does it still point to the old IP address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back