Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing Symbion in Nokia with Android 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mach04

Technical User
Jun 21, 2004
DK
I was wondering if its possible to replace a Symbion operative system with an Android on a Nokia.

Probably not. The Android OS won't have the needed drivers for the hardware.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Blog

It's simple. A two step process.

Step one: Sell Symbion phone.
Step two: By a 'Droid.

>depending on the model of phone

Almost all of the 'phones' there are not phones (nor do they claim to be). They are Nokia Internet Tablets. Hence the NIT in NITdroid.

The N900, however, is a NIT with a cellular modem tacked on so it works as a phone. And it runs NITdroid very nicely. I have it dual-booting on my N900

Dear Strongm,

I have a Nokia N900 too. (brilliant phone!)

Only problem is that the Vodafone firmware update for it PR 1.3 killed my skype!!

Hmmmmm vodafone wants us not to use skype???!

Have you ever flashed your N900 with the maemo provided flashers?

I want to flash my phone with the international version of PR 1.3 so that vodafone cannot put their sticky paws into my Skype useability anymore...

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thank you!! [bigsmile]

Thank you,

Kind regards

Triacona

>Hmmmmm vodafone wants us not to use skype???!

Vodafone have been trying to block Skype wherever they can. Their business is telephone calls, if you use Skype they lose money ... (at least, that's their rather narrow thinking on the subject)

I've commented in another thread on this subject. Have a look at talk.maemo.org for comprehensive instructions on flashing to the international firmware

Thank you very very much Strongm![2thumbsup]

Thank you,

Kind regards

Triacona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back