Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing String Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyJay

Programmer
Sep 1, 2003
GB
Hi Guys!

Looking for a bit of advice here.

I have a set of cf pages that connect to a sql db, the db holds a series of records that are output as leaflets - basically each record has a leaflet code and title and main section of text. To edit the leaflet records, my cf pages have a textarea - i have used the tinyMCE to enhance the textarea to allow headings and bold, italic, etc.

What i've found is now happening is where the users are editing the text in the text editor, and apostrophe is changing into the following
Code:
'
or where the apostrophe is the start of a word is showing as
Code:
&LSQ0

This doesnt seem to be a problem on displaying the leaflets back through html, however they are each fed into a vb program that display's the codes rather than the apostrophes!!

My query is this - should i be adding a replace function to the updatin leaflet page, or to the page that outputs the leaflet? My update page enables a user to continually update each leaflet before moving on to the next page (basically the users cant be trusted to make changes then update and go to another page, the insist on having a Word-like save and continue...!!). My output page uses CFFILE to output the leafet as a notepad file with all the html tags in...

Thanks for reading my long winded explanation - please advise!!

tinyMCE is correct in saving the special chars that way for display on the web.

Whatever VB script / app you are running the text through is not displaying them correctly for HTML output - but correct in a literal sense possibly.

Look through the tinyMCE docs for a way to turn off that conversion - tiny is very customizable.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back