Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing stack switches (Non-POE for POE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverblade

Technical User
Oct 27, 2003
NL
Hi,

I have the following stack:

Switch Ports Model SW Version SW Image
------ ----- ----- ---------- ----------
1 52 WS-C2960S-48FPS-L 12.2(55)SE7 C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M
2 52 WS-C2960S-48FPS-L 12.2(55)SE7 C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M
* 3 52 WS-C2960S-48TS-L 12.2(55)SE5 C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M
4 52 WS-C2960S-48TS-L 12.2(55)SE5 C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M

Now I want to replace the 2 non-POE switches (WS-C2960S-48TS-L) for POE switches (WS-C2960S-48FPS-L). Can this be done without any problems? (So I can keep my current configuration).
Or do I need to remove the "old switches" from the stack before rebuilding the stack with the 2 new switches. (And therefor build a new configuration).

I'm trying to understand some of the documentation I've found to determine my best course of action. So far I've come up with this:

This is de detail of the stack:

Switch/Stack Mac Address : b4e9.b028.a800
H/W Current
Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State
----------------------------------------------------------
1 Member c025.5caa.e380 5 1 Ready
2 Member c025.5cce.ec00 10 1 Ready
*3 Master b4e9.b028.a800 15 1 Ready
4 Member b4e9.b00c.6880 1 1 Ready

The first step I think I should take is rearange the priority numbers so that 1 and 2 get the highest priority. Ageter that reload the stack.

If my understanding is correct the stack should come back with the master now set to the switch with the highest priority. After this I can replace the non-POE switches, but.....
I'm wondering what will happen afterwards.
Bellow I a piece of documentation that reflects my situation, but what is meant by the " default configuration"? Does it clear all the config? Or does it as the last part suggest put the configuration of the stack to the new switches.

The stack member numbers
match but the switch types do
not match.

1. If the stack member number of the
provisioned switch matches the stack
member number in the provisioned
configuration on the stack, but
2. The switch type of the provisioned switch
does not match the switch type in the
provisioned configuration on the stack.

The switch stack applies the default
configuration to the provisioned switch
and adds it to the stack.
The provisioned configuration is changed
to reflect the new information.

I hope someone can shine a light on this.

This is what I would do. Boot the new switches separately. Make sure they have the same IOS revision, if not, update. Log in and change the member number to match the ones they will be replacing. Power down the switches that are being replaced (not the entire stack) and replace them. Power up.

Iggsterman,

thanks for your reply.
I'll combine your sugestion together with what I found online and see what happens ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back