Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

replacing specific elements in strings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyttviper

MIS
May 15, 2001
US
It has been a while since i have used jet sql (mostly use pl/sql). I need to replace specific chars in a string but can't find a method available in jet sql.

Example

"TASK: "IB732B" FROM QUALITY"

I want to replace the &QUOT with a space.
I can do this in pl/sql but the solution eludes me in access 97 jet sql. also, i am doing this in a query.

thanks
Dan0

Dan0

I'm glad you mentioned you were using Access 97. In Access 2000 and above you could use the Replace function, but it didn't exist back in 97.

Create a module and paste the following function:

Public Function SandR(InString As String, SearchString As String, ReplaceString As String) As String
'Search & Replace Function
Dim A As Long
Dim S As String
Dim T As String

S = InString
T = ""
'While Still Some To Do
While Len(S) > 0
'Look For SearchString In What Is Left (S)
A = InStr(1, S, SearchString)
'If Found
If A > 0 Then
'Copy The Bit Before That Along With ReplaceString
T = T & Left$(S, A - 1) & ReplaceString
'Chop Off The Bit We Just Did
S = Mid$(S, A + Len(SearchString))
Else
'Not Found - Chuck The Rest Of The String Into T And Truncate S
T = T & S
S = ""
End If
Wend
SandR = T
End Function

Within Access you can then use this public function within queries. e.g.
SELECT SandR(MyField,'"',' ') AS MyField2 FROM ...

Ordinarily within Access VBA you would have to specify a string using double quote marks. However, within a query you can use single quotes. To use double-quotes you would have had to delimit each double within the string with another double i.e. SandR(MyField,""""," ")

why not try replace(mystring,""""," ") in your select statement as it is a standard VB statement.

I'm glad you mentioned you were using Access 97. In Access 2000 and above you could use the Replace function, but it didn't exist back in 97.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back