Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing small to bigger disk on V440

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamen

Programmer
Jul 24, 2006
PL
Hi all.
I have problem with space on disks. I bouhgt new, bigger disks, but I have system and many data on SunFire v440.
On this disks are RAID0.
What should I do, to change all disks to biggest.

guessing you have RAID 1 (mirrors) not RAID 0 (concat or stripe):
you bought the bigger disks usually with the intention to have more space on your filesystems, didn't you? If you just replace disk by disk and use SDS/SVM you just use the same diskspace, even if you offer more space to the metadevice. I'm not sure if SDS changed here, but this was with SDS till Version 4.2.1.
I suggest to run
* fullbackups (my boss will smile when he reads this first point)
* change the system so that it will not boot from metadevices but from hd-slices
* remove the disks from one side of the mirror (usually called the "second" half)
* configure new disks, create filesystems, dump your disks and restore it on the new disks
* boot your new disks, replace small disks by big disks and set up new mirrors. Wait for the resync.

Best Regards, Franz
--
UNIX System Manager from Munich, Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back