Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

replacing single quotes with 2 single quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmywages

Programmer
Dec 12, 2002
US
Hi Y'all,

I'm trying to write a string to a database using SQL and since SQL doesn't like single quotes, I had to replace it with 2 single quotes...

Replace(MyString, "'", "''")

I thought this was an "escape" sequence... meaning 2 single quotes is interpreted as 1 single quote... But this is not the case.. When I look into the database, I see that it's added two single quotes inside there as well!

So (in the database) instead of: It's a nice day. I get: It''s a nice day.

How do I avoid actually adding 2 single quotes into the database yet not causing SQL to give me errors?

Any help would be appreciated!

~jimmy.

SQL does not mind single quotes. However, the SQL statement parser dOes mind so you only double up single quotes if you are placing the data field into an SQL statement between two single quotes.

Forms/Controls Resizing/Tabbing Control
Compare Code (Text)
Generate Sort Class in VB or VBScript

BTW, the doubling up of single-quotes has a side benefit of preventing the &quot;SQL Injection Attack&quot;. Enter &quot;SQL Injection Attack&quot; into if you do not know what it is. On the display side, all data from a database should go thru HTMLENCODE before being passed to the browser to avoid puposeful &quot;Cross-Site Scripting Attacks&quot; or the occurence of a < or a > here and there in the data.

Forms/Controls Resizing/Tabbing Control
Compare Code (Text)
Generate Sort Class in VB or VBScript

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back