Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing Raid 5 drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstewart455

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2007
US
I have 5 18 gig drives that I need to replace with larger ones. Do I need to break the original raid all together and start a new one? Or can I replace one at a time. Do I just break the Raid in Disk management within windows or do I need to do it there and in the raid utility.

I was told that resizing RAID 5 to a larger volume is not supported. You can however do a full backup and then replace one disk after another and wait for rebuild after each disk replacement. I believe you will have an option to resize the volume after all new disks have been used. Keep in mind that with MegaRaid controllers you can only use one disk per one array (Adaptec lets you use one larger disk in two or more logical arrays).
IMHO: It just might be easier and less time consuming if you make a backup and restore to the new RAID5 built with new disks.

MCP, MCSA, MCSA+M, MCSE 2003, RHCE C4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back