Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing one DC Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgrinberg

MIS
Feb 4, 2004
US
Hello! I have 2 AD Machines in my organization and they both also run DNS. I will be replacing one of them. Can someone tell me what the procedure is? I would think that I would just us DCPROMO to demote the machine and then promote another machine in its place. The replacment machine will have a different name. Is there anything else that I have to do for this?

yep. you can also bring the new machine online and dcpromo it into a DC, then demote the old one. if the old machine holds any of the FSMO roles, you can transfer them prior to the demotion. (although the server will attempt to transfer them automatically during the demotion) i prefer to know where they are going and that they got there...

scottie

How do you manually transfer FSMO roles? (Incase DCPROMO failes). This leads into my next quetion of, How successful is DCPROMO in transfering roles when demoting your first server in the forest?

Run NTDSUTIL command. Type in "Roles". It will give you the option of transfering or seizing all the roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back