Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing old Microfocus 3.1 with NetExpress 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tranman

Programmer
Sep 25, 2001
US
Hi,
I have 3 big old Microfocus (Workbench) programs (about 20K lines of source each), that do batch loading/editing/reporting on an Oracle 8i database, using Pro*COBOL, Exec SQL;etc.

Anyway, I am going to convert these programs to run in NetExpress, because there is no support available for the ancient stuff I'm running now.

I was wondering if anyone has any words of advice. Does Exec SQL work with NetExpress? Will I still need to use the pre-compiler? Can I still use cursors? Can I embed PL/SQL? What about data objects--DAO/ADO? Recordsets? Any problems running this on an XP Pro platform?

If someone has been through this exercise with changing versions on Microfocus programs that interface with Oracle, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Tranman

The COBOL won't be a problem. Calls to non-COBOL objects could become a problem because MF version 3 compiles to 16 bit executables and NetExpress is 32 bit. This required some checking.

According to the documentation embedded Oracle is still supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back