Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

replacing multiple disks(ssa-raid - data on them) with new disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

perpetua1

Technical User
Aug 16, 2002
CA
can someone pls let me know what the safest procedure to follow

thanks much

It depends on what RAID type, and how many disks are involved.

If you are using a RAID5 and have lost more disks than number_of_hotspares+1, then you've already lost data.

The general rule I use is one at a time: swap it out, let the RAID or LVM mirroring catch up that drive, do the next one.

We have raid 5 configuration(1 parity, 1hotspare) .

we have not lost data yet
What we are trying to accomplish:

we have 6-36G drives as well.
We want to swap our 6-18G drives with 6-72G drives. I'm looking for instructions on this. I'm not an AIX expert!
I'm not going to touch the 6-36G on the ssa-tower,just the 6-18G.

Remove them and replace them with 6-72G. hoping to create more space for our tsm application and its database.

Thanks for your tme

If you can install the new drives into the tower along with the others, then you could migrate the data from the smaller disks to the new disks using `migratepv`, otherwise, if you have to remove the smaller disks before you can install the larger disks, and the data is not mirrored onto a disk in the tower, then a restore of the data would be necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back