Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

replacing MSC card

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamandamy

Technical User
Jan 11, 2008
US
I have a BCM200 V4.0 that keeps shutting down and generating critical errors. The indication is that I need to replace the MSC card. I have a spare MSC card that was recovered from another BCM200 system that was upgraded to a 400.
Question, can I replace the defective MSC with my spare MSC without screwing myself up with all the keycode transfers?

That MSC has the SYS ID of the old 200 and if you did not transfer the keycodes to the new 400 then yes you can use it and transfer the keys to the 200 not working right.

thanks for the reply. Do it matter that the replacement MSC came off a 3.6 system?

I could be wrong & somebody please enlighten me if I am but you won't be able to regenerate your key codes from your bad MSC to the good one. That is unless the good one has somehow been cleared in KRS which sounds highly unlikely in your case.

I think pccal is correct, unless that is a clean MSC you are not going to be able to migrate over to it. Adam you are also correct if it is a 3.6 then it will not work either.

Log into KRS and see if the replacement MSC Sys ID shows any keycodes currently generated against it. If you generated a migration keycode when you upgraded the 200 to a 450 it may have cleared the keycodes from the 200 Sys ID.

This is critical ... the MSC must be for a BCM200. You cannot take an MSC from a 400 and install it in a 200 or vice versa.

The software version running on the BCM you removed the card from doesn't matter. When the BCM boots up it will check the Voice Core version on the MSC and compare it to the version on the HDD. If a newer version is on the HDD it will update the version on the MSC. This may not happen automatically on release 4.0, but you can trigger it by doing a cold reset.

Replacing an MSC on release 4.0 is a simple remove/replace process. Anything below 4.0 is a process that requires some documentation and serial port access to run a few commands.

HTH!

-SD-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back