Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing MPLS - Ethernet Extentions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parmb

Technical User
Dec 17, 2001
GB
Hi Guys,

need some advice on the right Kit

Basically we have 8 sites and are replacing our MPLS with a point to Multi point Ethernet extentions

various speeds from 100mb to 10Mb, with certain sites using an EFM backup Active/standby to HO as backup

VMB will present RJ45 interfaces at each site for us use. All connections will come back to the HO Vlan tagged from their Fibre then presented to us as an RJ45 on their Kit.

We plan on linking these together using Cisco Routers.

Each site will need 2 routers running HSRP i was thinking 1921's - any issues or suggestions here

back at the HO i was plannign on using a Cisco L3 swich to tie in all the sites and route between them. HO will also provide a 100Mb internet breakout for which i was thinking of uisng a Watchguard.

Any suggestins on the L3 swich or should i be using something else?

obviously i will need to setup route priority to each site for the active/standby config

In addition we have 2 small sites which will use ADSL vpn router. I was thining of using a watchguard and let it VPN back to the main HO watchguard?

any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Parmb

so you are going from a full-mesh MPLS to a point-to-multipoint topology?? 1921's may not be enough if you are feeding them 100Mbps links especially if you have any services enabled on them. Are you going to be using a routing protocol?? If yes, which one?? If you are using a Cisco L3 switch you may need a different license depending on which protocol you choose. You are using multiple routers at your branch offices with HSRP, are you planning on doing the same at HQ?? As for your perimeter firewall, I've used WatchGuard in the past and was not a fan, but to each his own so it will ultimately be up to you which one you choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back