Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

replacing modem for remote maintenance????

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlbrock

Vendor
Oct 24, 2001
US
I had a modem thaht is used for remote maintenance go out on one of the meridian 1' I maintain. I thought it would be as simple as plugging in a new modem. That does not work. The old modem is a 1200 baud and I'm trying to replace it with a 56k baud. What do I need to change in the cfn to get it to work?????
Thanks

The 56k is for the line speed. The port speed is something you need to change using the modems own command set. If the modem is fully compatible with the AT command set then the commands are easy to find on the internet. You need to change the DTE/DCE speed, then save it as the active startup configuration in the actual modem.

I would also change the TTY speed to 9600. To find out what it is LD 22, PRT, ADAN, TTY #, and to change it use LD 17, CHG, ADAN, CHG TTY #. All this can be found in the NTP's except for the modem.

If you need more help please post back the make and model of the modem and someone if not me I'm sure can help.

Tim Russell

try this config for your modem

ate1
at&f
ath0
atn1
atx0
at&k0
at&q0
at&m0
at&t0
at&d2
at%c0
at%e0
at\g0
at\n1
at\q0
at-j0
at"h0
ats0=2
at*r1
at*c=barkod
atq1
ate0
at&w
at&V

you want to check to make sure the dip swiches on the back of the modem are set right they should be set #1 is on 2 off 3 off 4 on 5,6,7,8 off hope that helps

It depends on what modem you purchased, but generally the most important things to confgure are:

Turn echo off
Turn quiet mode on
Set the serial port baud rate
Save the configuration

The echo and quiet mode settings are standard:

AT E0Q1

But the serial port baud rate varies from modem to modem. For a USR, the setting is:

AT &B1 &N6 (for 9600)

For a Rockwell chipset modem, try:

AT +MS 10,0,9600,9600,0,9600

This is v.32bis modulation with no automode, 9600 baud minimum rate, 9600 baud maximum rate, mu-Law encoding and a 9600 baud maximum transmit rate.

You need to attach a PC to the modem, configure it, and then save the values using the &W command. Typically &W0 will store the default configuration value.

If you think that you have it configured properly, turn it off and back on and then make sure that your configuration is still the same:

AT I4 (for USR)
AT &V (for Rockwell)

If it looks good, then plug it back into your Meridian and test it.

Reply to this post if you are having difficulty getting it configured.

Instead of fumbling with the speed and dip-switches on the modem, try using PROCOMM PLUS software. You can change modem speed, protocols, and what have-you. The only requirement is that your tty card (dip-switch), must be configured correctly to match the programming in your switch. Take a look at response above from: tim080772

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back