Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing missing dll file

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilBob

Technical User
Jul 25, 2008
US
I replaced a HD & RAM on a clients PC, reinstalled XP (Home Edition) & upgraded it to SP 3. THe HD crashed but I was able to salvage most of the important folders. After all was done, I asked if there were any other programs he needed reinstalled. He gave me Windows Works Suite 2003 but when I went to activate it, M$ told me it was already registered to another user. He admitted it was a friend's & didn't think anything was wrong. Since he obviously didn't use much of Works, I suggested a few similar but free apps if he needed them. Unfortunately, in my haste to uninstall the Suite, I deleted a needed dll file. Now when I try to boot, I get this error message: Explorer.EXE - Unable to locate component This application has failed to start because Normaliz.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem. When I click OK, nothing happens, no desktop icons, no taskbar. I located the file online but have no idea how to install it on clients PC. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LilBob

Even if you have no Desktop, try Ctrl+Alt+Del and see if you bring up Task Manager, if you can, browse folders via the
File/ New Task Run. What about Safe Mode, does that load?
There is always Recovery Console available to copy a file, it can be run from the Setup CD.

Normaliz.dll not found error fix

This is what I have in XP.

normaliz.dll
23.0 KB (23,552 bytes)
C:\WINDOWS\system32

Hi linney,

Safe Mode does the same, screen with no icons or task bar. I put the Setup CD in, clicked R and tried the following command:
C:\WINDOWS›COPY D:\WINDOWS\system32\normaliz.dll [C:\WINDOWS\system32]
It replies, 'The system cannot find the file specified.' I downloaded the file from my PC to a CD, placed that CD in client's and changed the command to:
C:\WINDOWS›COPY E:\normaliz.dll [C:\WINDOWS\system32]
It replies, 'The file name, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.'
What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help so far.

LilBob

on setup cd dll are named something else, don't remember exactly, but you cannot copy them as is.
try looking on cd, should be somesing with normaliz.dl_

'The file name, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.'
just out of curiosity - is it right that in 1st case you used D: and in 2nd - E:?

Is it on the CD as a compressed version of the .dll such as normaliz.dl_ (underscore)? Is there a Windows folder on the CD, I thought the files were in an i386 folder on the CD? Search your CD for the correct location of the file.

I'm no DOS command expert but I don't recall brackets [????] in any copy commands.

For Command syntax, use command name followed by /? in the Recovery Console.

You might be fighting Windows File Protection also if you are copying from within Windows.

Extracting Files from the Operating System CD

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

222193 - Description of the Windows File Protection Feature

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

LilBob said:
C:\WINDOWS›COPY E:\normaliz.dll [C:\WINDOWS\system32]

Linney is correct. The proper syntax in the example you gave would be: C:\WINDOWS›COPY E:\normaliz.dll C:\WINDOWS\system32

OR change your directory to E: cd /d e:
and then at the E: prompt type: copy normaliz.dll c:windows\system32

Cheers.

Thanks for all the help. Could not copy the missing dll file over to C:\windows\system32, no matter what syntax. Finally decided time spent became more than time involved in doing a repair installation & reinstalling SP's. All worked well. Thanks again!

LilBob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back