Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing MerMail Card Cage with IPE Card Cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telephonist

Technical User
Sep 3, 2003
US
I want to replace an old Meridian Mail card cage with an IPE card cage.

Do I need to pull out the System Monitor card in that column before I power down the cabinet, to pull the power and ribbon cables off, or is just disabling TTY 0 sufficient?

Hello Telephonist,

I would not suggest doing this with the stack "Live" . Use proper safety, and do your back-ups, schedule a maintenance window , and power the stack down . I have done this before, and the power plug-ins are very tedious to get in place with the power Off, let alone on . Too many risks involved trying to do this "Live

Of course this change-out would be done during a maintenance window, and an EDD is standard procedure.

This is a DC switch (I never had an AC switch, so I don't know if that makes a difference), and with the module powered down, there's nothing complex or dangerous about disconnecting the card cage. There's an in-line connector on the power harness that's simple to disconnect, and the only other connection is a logic return wire.

My understanding was that, with the System Monitor disabled, the ribbon cables could be disconnected without the column going down, but I may be in error there.

I'll just disable and down the column. I was hoping to not have to, to simplify the Change Management process.

Yes---disable and remove the system monitor---remove all cables form the monitor and do not plug them back in untill you have the system monitor plugged back in after your card cage change out. This should be done in a maint window of course---but I have on occasion had to do column work during the day and removing the system monitor will disable any shutdown mechanisms for over temperature or power and allow you to replace the shelf.

Thanks, kstaff,

I'll be doing this during our 5-7 am Thursday PM window on 5/18.

I'll report after.

The card cage swap out went like clockwork this morning, with no service interruption in the other three modules.

It took me about an hour, by myself. Thanks for the helpful information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back