Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing HP harddisks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mailadmin

Technical User
May 31, 2002
NL
Hi,

One of our Ultra SCSI HP Harddisks (D7050A) mailfunctioned the other day. The replacement they send us was an Ultra3 SCSI type HP harddisk (P1166A). Unfortunately the replacement doesn't work, the disk isn't recognized and can't be accessed by the old Rack Storage/6 external HP Storage cabinet (in which it should be placed). The man on the phone told me that this was impossible, a Ultra SCSI harddisk could be replaced by a Ultra3 SCSI drive. But our experience tells different.

Can anyone explain why a HP Ultra SCSI disk can't be replaced with a Ultra3 SCSI harddisk, is it because the RS/6 doesn't work with Ultra3 SCSI and that the drive can not 'spin down' to Ultra SCSI? I would like to know why?

Regards

just a thought, i have run into the same problem and have been able to solve it by putting a jumper on the drive configuration pins that force the disk to be single ended. the storage box was then able to handle the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back