Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing HDD in RAID 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbalazs

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2000
GB
One of the 3 HDDs in our Raid 5 array has failed and I've replaced it with the hot spare. Does a new HDD have to be of the same make and capacity (they're all Seagate 60GB) and does it have to be formatted in any special way?
Thanks, Tony.

It is to my understanding the drives have to be duplicates. As for the formatting side of it I understand you get the fresh drive you plug it in and if autorebuild is configured for "on" then it should start building as soon as you plug it in. Hope this helps some way!

Technically as long as the replacement drive has the same (online) capacity as the dead drive it should work. Dell often sends out replacement raid drives, from a different manufacturer.
Personally, if you can obtain the exact make/model/firmware drive your better off. Internexus is correct about the auto rebuild as per most newer raid adapters; older model sometimes need to have the rebuild started manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back